Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cheeseburger, Moral Responsibility

I've got a terrible memory most of the time, but when it comes to making mistakes it's excellent, especially the ones that change the rules I live by.

When I was very young, my mother took my brother and I to the McDonald's drive-thru for lunch while she was running errands. I couldn't have been more than five years old. My brother got a whole cheeseburger for lunch, but my mom thought it best if I only had half of one.

I thought this was discrimination, so when she left the car to go inside somewhere on an errand I didn't fully understand, I ate the whole thing. She came back and looked for the cheeseburger and said, "Noah, I thought I told you to only eat half of the cheeseburger.

"But Adam got a whole one, so I wanted one."

She looked at me sternly and said, "That was my lunch, Noah." I'll never forget that until the day I die. I've never really come to terms with the fact that other people might occasionally know what's best for me. I think that's the curse of the intelligent, or maybe I'm just stubborn, but I learned my lesson that day.

In the end some people do actually make wise decisions that at first seem baffling and ill-conceived. If you decide to disregard someone who is intelligent and has your best interest in mind, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment